Monday, October 6, 2014

Sermon for First Day Rosh Hashanah, Beth Israel Synagogue, 1 Tishrei, 5775

These are my eighth High Holidays at Beth Israel. In my first five years here, I have followed the practice of many of my colleagues of reserving one sermon for Israel. After that fifth sermon, a member of the congregation came up to me and said, “Rabbi, it’s obvious that you care very deeply about Israel, but I am not sure why I should. Could you perhaps have a class to teach me why?” I was touched by this request. Indeed, I count it as one of the kindest things anyone has asked of me as a rabbi.

And of course I held the class; and, astonishingly enough, it was the best attended adult education course I have offered here. For five weeks we studied the Jewish people’s history and its connection to the land, the history of the land itself, the forces that impelled the Jewish people off of it 2000 years ago, and the forces that compelled them to return in the last century and a half. But on the sixth week, I could no longer hide behind history. I had to answer the question posed to me; the question that had become the course's title: Why Care About Israel.

There is part of me that wants to respond to that question in the same way that Victor Laszlo responds to Rick Blaine when asked whether his fight against the Nazis is worth it: “You might as well question why we breathe,” he says. At first, it seemed astonishing that the question should be asked at all. But when I tried to answer it, I discovered that the truly astonishing thing is how difficult it is to do so. In order to show you the difficulty, let me expand the question. Here it is in its long form:

I am a parent and a professional in my work. I live in Wallingford Connecticut, a small, middle-class city with a very small Jewish population. I am a member of the synagogue there because, in a largely Christian town, I want my children to have a sense of their Jewish identity. But I am also a member because I feel this ancient faith of mine has something to teach me about how I should live my own life - and I am trying my best to live a good and meaningful life.

Israel is very far away. What I know about it is what I see on the news, and what I see on the news is mostly bad. Arabs killing Jews, Jews killing Arabs, and I can’t really tell one side from the other. The problems that lead to incessant war seem intractable; who am I to sort them through? I have no desire to visit the place and, counting pennies as we all are these days, no easy means of doing so if I did. Why should I care about Israel?

This is one very hard question. Israel is indeed far away and we are connected to it not by some tangible dependence but rather by vague ideas of a common interest and common history. Painful as it might be to contemplate, if Israel were to cease to exist, it is hard to see how our own lives would change.

So in the class, I tried answering the question by narrowing the distance. Israelis, I told them, are just like us. They live in a free, democratic society. They are hard working, innovative, and want to get ahead. They want peace just like all free people want peace – so they can get on with the business of living. To that end, they have all the institutions of freedom – courts that administer justice, a press that is vibrant with controversy and dissent, and a government that reflects the ever-evolving will of its people. Beyond that, we share a history that goes back nearly 4000 years. And we share values, particularly our belief in the sanctity and dignity of human life.

My goal with this answer was to make Israelis seem less like foreigners with a strange language and intrusive customs, and more like the members of our family that they, in fact, are. I failed. The class greeted my argument largely with silence. It was not the silence of profound insight. Rather, it was the silence that says “is that all you got?”

And in fact, I myself was underwhelmed with this answer. Something I knew, was missing: something that could not be found in economic statistics or political theories; something not of the head, but of the heart. So perhaps the best way to answer the question “why should you care about Israel?” is by telling you why I do.

As many of you know, I did not go to religious school as a child. We belonged to no synagogue; I had no bar mitzvah. Unlike most Jews who hem and haw about the matter by saying that they are not very observant, my father was an avowed atheist. I idolized my father, which of course made me an atheist too. But despite my evolving hostility toward religion, somehow the State of Israel entered my consciousness. It entered there when I was nine-years old and Palestinian terrorists murdered 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic games in Munich. It moved still further into my consciousness a year later when Egypt and Syria nearly destroyed it on Yom Kippur, 1973. I took a giddy kind of adolescent male pride in Israel’s daring raid that rescued 102 hostages held by Palestinian terrorists in Entebbe, Uganda in 1976. I felt deflated the following year when Menachem Begin became Prime Minister and everyone said he would never make peace. And then I felt chastened the next year when he did just that – giving back the Sinai peninsula to earn a peace with Egypt. Through all these events, my Jewish identity - bereft of any religious component - blossomed and grew. These acts of heroism in the face of evil, these risks for peace with a former enemy, were being done by Jews. And I was a Jew.

To that point my consciousness of Israel was associated mostly with a feeling of pride: pride in its courage, pride in its daring, pride in its audacity, both in war and in peace. But in 1981, a new and even stronger emotion crept in. That year, in a secret and audacious raid, Israel destroyed the Osirak nuclear reactor the French were building for Saddam Hussein in Iraq. I was thrilled. To me it was, like the Entebbe raid, another example of Israel’s genius and daring. But the world didn’t see it that way. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher called Israel’s raid “a grave breach of international law.” And The New York Times, true to its form of getting all-things-Israel precisely wrong, called it “an act of inexcusable and short-sighted aggression.”

But the meaning of all this criticism did not hit home until the following year with the outbreak of the Lebanon War. Throughout the 1970's, the Palestinian Liberation Organization or PLO, turned Lebanon – particularly Southern Lebanon – into an armed base for attacking Israel with shells and rockets and tanks. Israel had little choice but to strike at this burgeoning threat. As Secretary of State Henry Kissinger said at the time, “no sovereign state can tolerate indefinitely the buildup along its borders of a military force dedicated to its destruction . . .” Israel invaded Southern Lebanon in June of 1982. Initial success led to an effort to drive the PLO from Lebanon all together. That is when the war bogged down and opinion turned against the Jewish state. From all corners Israel was being attacked as an aggressor. Even Jews, even Israelis were joining in on the condemnation.

I was incredulous. How could you condemn a country for defending its citizens against an enemy bent on destroying it? What other country would be condemned for acting the way Israel had? Indeed, what country would not be condemned if it failed to act as Israel had? As you can tell, it did not take long for my incredulity to turn to indignation. I had no problem holding Israel to a higher standard. But to say that Israel's standard should be self-sacrifice rather than self-defense struck me as the height of naivety. At least I thought it was naivety at the time.

Sadly, the history I watched unfold in Lebanon in 1982 became the pattern of behavior in the decades that have followed. The terrorists who surround Israel commit some outrage – a suicide bombing, a cross-border kidnapping, indiscriminate rocket fire – and the world mouths its sympathy for the Jewish State. The world loves to be seen as sympathetic when Jews are being killed. But let Israel defend itself and the world's moral calculus changes. We saw this in the Palestinian terror war of 2000-2004 where Israel was internationally condemned for building a fence to keep suicide bombers out. We saw it in the second Lebanon war of 2006 where international pressure forced Israel to shut down its operations before achieving its objectives. We saw it in the first Gaza war of 2012 where the United Nations accused Israel of war crimes – a charge its commission's Jewish chairman subsequently renounced. And we saw it this summer where the world placed at Israel's feet the body of every dead Palestinian in Gaza – despite the fact that Hamas rejected or broke every cease-fire that Israel accepted. Through it all, my indignation at the world's heedless naivety grew. Then, at some point – I don't know when for sure – I realized that what Israel was facing was not heedless naivety at all. For who could be so naïve as to take the side of an organization whose avowed purpose was to destroy the Jewish state and every Jew living in it; that conducts summary executions on busy, city streets; that uses its own citizens as shields for its weaponry. This wasn't heedless naivety. This wasn't even hatred of the State of Israel. This was antisemitism. This was hatred of Jews, pure and simple.

Just look at what they are saying out there on the street of almost any supposedly civilized nation. With all the oppressive regimes that rule their people through terror – including in Gaza; with all the wars and genocides that mark their dead in the tens and hundreds of thousands, what is the one country that evokes angry, sometimes violent protest in France, in Germany, in Poland, in India, in Great Britain, in Sweden, in Norway, in Chile, in Italy, in Argentina, in Australia, in Columbia, in Canada, in Denmark, in Austria, in Tunisia and here in the United States? And in not a few of those protests they are shouting "Death to the Jews," and "Jews to the Gas." These are not protests against Israel. They are protests against Jews. They are protests against you.

As you can tell, I am passionate on this subject. But then again, we Jews are a passionate people. And nothing evokes that passion like our sense of justice. Think of Abraham arguing with God over the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah: הֲשֹׁפֵט כָּל־הָאָרֶץ לֹא יַעֲשֶׂה מִשְׁפָּט – will not the Judge of all the world do justice? Think of Moses, desperately defending the Israelites after the sin of the golden calf - שׁוּב מֵחֲרוֹן אַפֶּךָ וְהִנָּחֵם עַל־הָרָעָה לְעַמֶּךָ - return from Your anger and relent from the evil toward Your people. Think of Jeremiah at the end of the book of Lamentations, accepting God's punishment but accusing Him as well - קָצַפְתָּ עָלֵינוּ עַד־מְאֹד – You have raged against us enough! Even the story of Jonah is one of a man whose passion for justice is so great he seeks to block God's mercy.

So what is it that evokes your passion? What is it that causes you – in your own way – to rage against the world? What would cause you to rage even against God? Surely there must be something inside you that evokes what can only be called righteous indignation. And surely the scapegoating and villianizing of Jews must be worthy of that passionate response, because if it isn't, then something is missing from your Jewish soul – something you have to find in order to become whole.


I care about Israel because I am a Jew. And you must do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment