Monday, October 6, 2014

Sermon for Yom Kippur Evening, Beth Israel Synagogue, 10 Tishrei 5775

Every Jew has his star … why, the whole sky is Jewish … I hope it’s not mine that just fell, I prayed, suddenly thinking of Hodl. Lately she’d seemed cheerier, livelier, more her old self again. Someone had brought her a letter, no doubt from her jailbird. I would have given the world to know what was in it, but I was blamed if I was going to ask. If she wasn’t talking, neither was I; I’d show her how to button up a lip. No, Tevye was no woman; Tevye could wait … Well, no sooner had I thought of my Hodl than she appeared by my side. She sat down next to me on the stoop, looked around, and said in a low voice, “Papa, are you listening? I have to tell you something. I’m saying goodbye to you tonight … forever.” She spoke in such a whisper that I could barely hear her, and she gave me the strangest look— such a look, I tell you, as I’ll never forget for as long as I live. . .
What do you mean, you’re saying goodbye forever?” I asked, staring down at the ground to hide my face, which must have looked like a dead man’s. “I mean ,” she said, “that I’m going away early in the morning. We’ll never see each other again … ever.” That cheered me up a bit. Thank God for small comforts, I thought. Things could have been worse— though to tell you the truth, they conceivably could have been better … “And just where,” I inquired , “are you going, if it’s not too much of me to ask?” “I’m going to join him,” she said. “You are?” I said. “And where is he?” “Right now he’s still in prison ,” she said. “But soon he’s being sent to Siberia.” “And so you’re going to say goodbye to him?” I asked, playing innocent.
No,” she says. “I’m going with him.” “Where?” I say. “What’s the name of the nearest town?” “We don’t know the exact place yet,” she says. “But it’s awfully far away. Just getting there alive isn’t easy.” She said that, did my Hodl, with great pride, as if she and her Peppercorn had done something so grand that they deserved a medal with half a pound of gold in it. I ask you, what’s a father to do with such a child?

Last week was the fiftieth anniversary of the Broadway opening of Fiddler on the Roof. In a childhood devoid of religion, my Jewish identity crept into me in roundabout ways. I talked, last week, about the impact Israel had on that identity. But there were other things as well: my the aunt's Yiddish aphorisms, my grandmother's tsimmes, my father's sense of humor. And it came to me, at least in part, through Fiddler. Growing up, I listened to that album so often I had to pile pennies on the stylus to keep it in the worn and scratched grooves. I can't remember a time before the time when I knew every line of every song.

I have always thought of Fiddler as a thoroughly Jewish musical. But I discovered this past spring when I, for the first time, read the stories on which it is based, that Fiddler on the Roof is not really a Jewish show at all. Rather, its an American show projected through a Jewish lens. Fiddler is the story of a man learning to cope with modernity. Each of his three eldest daughters pushes Tevye ever further from the the old ways. Tsaytl, his oldest, asserts her right to choose for herself whom she will marry. Hodl goes even further and declares her determination to marry whomever she will regardless of whether her father consents. And Chava pushes him even further, claiming the right to marry even outside the faith.

The lessons his daughters teach him will stand Tevye in good stead because by the show's end, he and his family – in fact, the entire town – are expelled from their homes and forced to flee to America. The deep irony here is that the ending is probably the most Jewish thing about the show, for even as we shed a tear for the dear little village of Anitevka, we know that this expulsion is, in reality, Tevye's and his family's salvation from the Shoah that would have engulfed them otherwise.

Fiddler on the Roof, then, is a typical immigrant story of leaving the old world of oppression for the new world of freedom. We sympathize with Tevye for his feelings of loss, but not for the things he is actually losing which are largely folkways and tribal customs that have no place in America. That Tevye can indeed survive their loss – that he even comes to some reconciliation with Chava – assures us that he will survive; and that indeed constitutes a kind of happy ending.

Sholem Aleichem's Tevye the Dairyman bears only a passing resemblance to the musical Fiddler. This is not the story of a man learning to bend in the winds of modernity. Rather it is a modern retelling of one of Judaism's oldest and most powerful stories: the story of Job.

Tevye the Dairyman is composed of eight short stories written by Sholem Aleichem between 1894 and 1916. In each story, the same amount of time has passed in Tevye's life as has passed since the previous story's publication. Indeed, each story is told as if Tevye were catching up his honored acquaintance – the writer Sholem Aleichem – on the doings in his life since last they met.

And what a life that turns out to be. Tevye, we quickly learn, interprets everything that happens to him through verses of the Bible, the Talmud or the siddur. He lives his life in constant dialogue with God and takes as axiomatic that anything to befall him is God's doing. He tells us in his first story
As we say on Yom Kippur, mi yorum umi yishofeyl— who will be exalted and who humbled - leave it to Him to decide who goes on foot and who gets to ride. The main thing is confidence. A Jew must never, never give up hope. How does he go on hoping, you ask, when he’s already died a thousand deaths? But that’s the whole point of being a Jew in this world! What does it say in the prayer book? Atoh bekhartonu! We’re God’s chosen people; it’s no wonder the whole world envies us …

The touch of irony you sense in those words will deepen almost to bitterness in the end for Tevye will suffer greatly. Hodl, we know, will follow her Pertchik to Siberia. Chava will marry outside the faith and become dead to him. Tevye's fourth daughter, Shprintze, will fall in love with a rich boy from a nearby town. The boy's family is convinced that Tevye is a gold digger and moves away. And Shprintze throws herself into the river and drowns. His fifth child, Beilke, fulfills Tevye's life-long dream of having a daughter marry a rich man. But that nouveau-riche husband is so disgusted by his poor, dairy-man father-in-law that he plots to ship Tevye off to the land of Israel. The husband goes bust before Tevye can board the boat and he and Beilke flee to America to escape his creditors. And along the way Tsaytl's husband Motl dies, and Golde dies, and Tevye is evicted from his home. The one bright spot in Tevye's life is a repentant Chava's return on the eve of the family's eviction. The last view Sholem Aleichem gives us of Tevye is as a homeless old man, trying to take care of his two remaining daughters and his grandchildren. Through it all, the dialogue with God goes on.

To say that Tevye is a modern-day Job is not to compare suffering. It is to compare their response to suffering. Job is described as blameless, upright, God-fearing, shunning evil. When his children go off partying at night, he sacrifices burnt offerings on their behalf, lest they should blaspheme in their revery. And when it is all taken from him and he is reduced to sitting on an ash heap, scraping at his diseased skin with a shard of pottery, he fearlessly and forthrightly insists that the reason for his suffering lies not in his own actions, but in the secretive ways of the Almighty. “Know that God has wronged me,” he says. “He has thrown up siege works around me. I cry 'Violence' but am not answered; I shout, but can get no justice.” When Job cries out “I know that my Redeemer lives!” it is practically a challenge to God to defend Himself.

Compare this with the very end of Tevye the Dairyman and our protagonists astonishing valedictory:
I ask you, Pan Sholem Aleichem, you’re a person who writes books —is Tevye right or not when he says that there’s a great God above and that a man must never lose heart while he lives? And that’s especially true of a Jew, and most especially of a Jew who knows a Hebrew letter when he sees one … No, you can rack your brains and be as clever as you like— there’s no getting around the fact that we Jews are the best and smartest people. Mi ke’amkho yisro’eyl goy ekhod, as the Prophet says— how can you even compare a goy and a Jew? Anyone can be a goy, but a Jew must be born one. Ashrekho yisro’eyl—it’s a lucky thing I was, then, because otherwise how would I ever know what it’s like to be homeless and wander all over the world without resting my head on the same pillow two nights running?

In his introduction to his translation of Tevye the Dairyman, Hillel Halkin remarks that there are three common ways through which people understand the suffering of the innocent. Either they believe that God is good and all powerful and what we perceive of as injustice is just an illusion or a test. Or they believe that God is good but not all powerful and that He sometimes loses out to these other, evil forces. Or they believe that that God does not exist and suffering is like all other things – the result of blind chance. But Halkin goes on to say that there is yet a fourth way of understanding why the innocent suffer. It is to say “God exists; He is good; He is all-powerful; therefore He must be just; but He is not just; therefore He owes man an explanation and man must demand it from Him. This is Job’s response. And it is also Tevye’s.”

The story of Fiddler on the Roof reflects the times in which it was created. Jews like Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock and Joseph Stein and Jerome Robbins could look back fondly at the Tevyes in their own lives and see in their sufferings and pains the seeds of their own success. What those immigrant Jews were forced to give up was quaint and comforting and not without its rewards. But what they gained in return was something far greater: freedom; freedom to be Jews, freedom to be like every one else. Its a wonderful story and wonderfully told. But its an American story. It isn't the story of Sholem Aleichem's Tevye. For that Tevye is more than a simple dairy man. He is, indeed, a man in the mold of Abraham and Moses and Jeremiah and Job – a man who can stand upright in his wretchedness and call the Almighty to account. On this day, when we are charged with standing before the Creator of All and beseeching His forgiveness, it is good to remember the Tevyes who demand that God be worthy of answering our prayers.



No comments:

Post a Comment