Thursday, September 24, 2015

Sermon for Rosh Hashanah Evening, Beth Israel Synagogue, 1 Tishrei 5776

Recently my teacher and dear friend Vicki Hoffer shared with me the following observation. “Judaism,” she said, “is the closest thing to atheism.”

If I pursued the thought with her, I confess to not remembering the details. The comment, though, has stayed with me. You see, I was raised an atheist. I remember as a small boy, my father answering our kitchen phone one evening. We could tell from the long pauses followed by the clipped, one word responses that he was answering a survey. One of those answers he gave was “atheist.” It didn't take much imagination to guess the question.

My father lived with cancer for three years. Terminal illness did not change his take on religion, and he lived out his final days with the same gentleness and humor and philosophical good will he showed all his life. In the years after his death, as I found religion myself and ultimately wound up a rabbi, I have felt at some pains to understand this teshuvah – this returning of mine – not as a rejection of my father's atheism, but as an affirmation of myself as his son. Such an affirmation gets at the heart of the question of what it means to be a Jew – a question that I have been pondering for some time now, and one I will address tangentially tomorrow, but in greater detail on Yom Kippur.

Hence, when Vicki suggested that Judaism was the closest thing to atheism, I was more than ready to agree. But what does this actually mean?

In my understanding, Judaism is astonishingly based on reason rather than faith. Pretty much everything in the Torah – the plagues, the parting of the sea, the revelation at Sinai, the manna and all the miracles – can all be understood equally profitably as interpretation or as metaphor. Indeed, 800 years ago Maimonides went so far as to insist that if something in the Torah appears to conflict with what we know of natural law, the Torah has to be reinterpreted as metaphor. To my way of thinking, Judaism requires us to make but one real leap of faith: it requires that we believe that somewhere – on the other side of the Big Bang – stands God putting this all in motion; and that somehow He communicated this truth to all of us. This is, to me, Judaism's one great claim on our powers of belief. And if it is a claim that cannot be supported by reason, it is, nevertheless, the claim that furnishes the reason to our dearest hopes and darkest pains. Let me try and explain.

Judaism's minimizing of the role of faith comes at a steep price. While the notion of Olam Ha-Bah – the world to come, in which all the righteous will have a share – is an important part of Judaism, its actual nature and meaning is not a matter of religious doctrine but rabbinic speculation. To put it quite simply, our Christian neighbors have a more definite idea of what awaits them beyond the grave then we do. This uncertainty, together with Judaism's natural emphasis on this life, leaves the idea of salvation beyond the grave very much an open question for us, and one which good and faithful Jews can answer quite differently.

Judaism's uncertainty about life after death has led to the canonization of two remarkable books. Koheleth, better known as the Book of Ecclesiastes, is in essence an extended exhortation to enjoy the sensual pleasures that life has to offer, because what lies beyond those pleasures is both unknowable and, perhaps, futility itself. And the Book of Job is one innocent man's pained lament that God is under no obligation to treat human beings according to their just deserts.

And that brings me to the message I wanted to share with you this evening as we begin our High Holiday odyssey together. There has been much pain in our congregation of late. Kathy Schacht's tragic loss of her sister Mary Beth a couple of weeks ago was mirrored just just weeks earlier when our prayer leader, our cantor Nancy Huber lost her sister Sherry. This morning, almost unbelievably, I found myself attending the funeral of the sister of another dear friend who also died suddenly. Often times such tragedies strike at moments when a person is most vulnerable – when life is already presenting them with challenges enough. As I have done my inadequate best to help these friends of mine in this terrible moments, my mind has drifted back repeatedly to a single line in the Book of Job. Three messengers come to tell Job of a series of horrible disasters that have carried off all of his wealth. Then a fourth messenger comes to bring him news of the deaths of all his children. The arrival of each subsequent messenger is announced with the same words: zeh m'daber v'zeh bah vayomar – this one was still talking when this one came and said . . .

Our worst nightmares conjured up in five words: zeh m'daber v'zeh bah vayomar - this one was still busy upending my world, when this one came and made it all so much worse. Personal tragedy is always a challenge to our faith in a benign and benevolent God. But tragedy upon tragedy is a challenge to our faith in justice, mercy and ultimately, meaning. The Book of Job and, in its own way The Book of Ecclesiastes, force us to face these challenges. That Judaism has chosen to canonize these books – that it has taken such honest confrontations with the greatest challenges to faith and declared them holy – is testimony to my friend's assertion that Judaism is the closest thing to atheism. And it has immeasurably deepened my faith in my religion and my God.

Since my younger daughter went off to college, an odd thing has happened in my life. The alarm rings in the morning, I make Terri her breakfast and she sets off for work. And I am left alone. Everything in my life that I hold dearer then life itself is beyond my reach. I walk into my office. I pull on my tallis, and I pray. I pray because as a father and husband, that gnaw of anxiety for my wife and children never leaves me. I pray because as a rabbi, I have promised my prayers to a lot of people who are in pain, and I have seen what comfort they gain from knowing someone cares enough to think about them every day. I pray because as a man, I am conscious of the many blessings in my life and I need to acknowledge them. But mostly, I pray because, as a Jew, I am obligated to do so. It is that sense of mitzvah – that sense of commandment – that fills my life with a sense that behind it lies a purpose and meaning that goes beyond my own pleasure and my own pain.

Zeh m'daber v'zeh bah vayomar – after all the messengers had come and had their say, after God further tested Job by inflicting him with boils from head-to-foot and reducing him to scraping at his sores with a shard of pottery – Job's wife comes to him and tells him to curse God and die already. Job is incredulous: gam et ha-tov n'kabeyl mai-ait ha-elohim, v'et ha-rah lo n'kabeyl he asks. Can we receive only the good from God and not receive the bad? I hear in Job's words something far deeper then the simple message that we have to take the bad with the good. To me, he is saying that without God, there is no bad or good and this pain that I feel, this grief that I suffer is meaningless. God in His absolutely unfathomable Will, can take everything from me. But so long as I still have Him, I still have meaning. In that moment of ultimate pain, such a message may seem of small comfort. In the constant uncertainty that surrounds my life, and all of our lives, I am trying to live as though that were the greatest comfort there can be.



No comments:

Post a Comment